National Oyster Day!
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
The Walrus & The Carpenter - Alice & Wonderland
Whether you love them raw, fried or on the half shell, oysters are a delicious way to celebrate National Oyster Day! Oysters can provide high levels of heart and brain boosting Omega-3 fatty acids, and enough zinc to keep you going all night. Here are a few fun facts to celebrate our appreciation of oysters.
1. Oysters have a three chambered heart, colorless blood and a pair of kidneys.
2. Oysters breathe similarly to fish. They have two gills and a mantle. The mantle is lined with many small, thin walled blood vessels which extract oxygen from the water.
3. Oysters are filter feeders, they draw water in over their gills. They primarily eat plankton and particles that get trapped in their gills.
4. An oyster is a sessile mollusk that is commonly found clinging onto shipwrecks, debris and harbour walls around the world.
5 .Casanova, the great 18th century Italian lover, believed in starting the day by eating 50 oysters. So that begs the question...was he a great lover because of the oysters? Come test this theory at the best restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks!
6. Only about one in 10,000 oysters contains a pearl.
7. The verb 'to shuck', meaning to remove the shell from an oyster, was first recorded in 1881.
8. Long ago, people were advised never to eat oysters during months of the year that didn't contain the letter "r". For one reason, the lack of proper refrigeration methods didn't keep oysters well in the warmer weather - May through August.
9. Nearly two billion pounds of these delicious mollusks are eaten ever year.
10. The Romans imported oysters by boat direct from England to Italy and Roman Emperors paid for them by their weight in gold.
Whether you hope to be a like the great lover and eat 50 oysters for breakfast, or want to pay for your Boathouse Oysters in gold, we hope these fun facts have helped you work up an appetite! We have some delicious fried oysters with a horseradish aioli sauce that would absolutely make your day. We can promise you that even though August doesn't have an "r" in it, our oysters are fresh, refrigerated and ready for you to enjoy. Imagine sitting by our beautiful pool, eating oysters and sipping on a cold drink, that could be you tonight! Swing in and enjoy some delicious oysters at the best Lakefront restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks!